Monday, January 21, 2008

Cloud 9 Revolving Restaurant

The second Dine Out ’08 experience took place at Cloud 9 Revolving Restaurant at Empire Landmark Hotel. I’ve always wanted to go to this restaurant but its menu in the past few years weren’t as appealing, so I didn’t get to try it until this year.


On Food

Walking into the restaurant I didn’t have high expectation on the food. I was there more for the view than the food. Food was okay, but the dishes weren’t spectacular, just some ordinary dishes that one can get at a Northwestern restaurant.


On Presentation

Plating was mediocre. Also using white plates and minimal garnish, Cloud 9’s presentation does not add the elegance touch to the dishes like Five Sails does. Here their goal seems to be just getting the food out without extra hassle.


On Environment

The restaurants is actually part restaurant, part lounge. I saw a piano in the lounge area, which means that sometimes a pianist may play live to entertain customers. That’s not a bad idea. I’d enjoy my time there more so than without live music. There was no live music the day I was there, but overall the environment was quite nice combining the candle lights with a great view of Vancouver.


On View

The view didn’t disappoint me. 360 around Vancouver and the weather was excellent the day I was there – it is the best location to see the whole Vancouver. It took about 1.5 hours to go around once, which is reasonable as each seating is estimated for 1.5 hours. You get to go around at least once before your dining service is over. A great place to entertain visitors.


On Service

My reservation was at 7:30pm but I didn’t get seated until close to 8pm! Why? I think they were under-staffed. WAY under-staffed. The greeter was also the coat check, table setter and table cleaner. For a Sunday evening during the Dine Out period, I was really disappointed by their staff situation.


Cloud 9 Restaurant

Food: 7
Presentation: 6
Environment: 8.5
View: 10
Service: 7
Overall: 7.7 (The view definitely saved them from scoring low)


Photos

Appetizer: Tomato and Gin Soup



Appetizer: Classic Caesar Salad



Entree: Charbroiled Rib-eyed Steak (The sauce was a bit salty)



Entree: Classic Grilled Salmon with Popcorn Shrimp (The popcorn shrimp was more like deep-fried tempura batter, barely found the shrimps)



Dessert: Chef's Choice Dessert - Cheesecake with mango and raspberry sauce